lauredhel

lauredhel

Soulless: The Manga Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga #2)
Gail Carriger
The Walking Dead, Vol. 18: What Comes After
Charlie Adlard, Robert Kirkman
Sunburnt Country
Fiona Palmer
Bark at the Moon: Bert Rokey's Letters from the South Pacific, 1942-1945: How a Soldier and Sabetha, His Kansas Farm Community, Survived World War II
Cleta Gresham Rokey
Seanan McGuire
My Policeman
Bethan Roberts

Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain

Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain - Maryanne Wolf What I Learned From This Book: Alphabetic systems of writing are much more evolved and efficient than ideographic systems, and therefore "our" brains are Wired Differently from The Chinese. And that "we" all grew up reading Twain and Austen and Proust. Also, the internetz are destroying literacy and creating a new generation of people who are unable to read or memorise anything, I mean real reading and real memorisation, like we did in the old days. We know this because if we ask children how many poems they know by heart, it isn't many, unlike when we were lads and lasses and English was taught properly from the far superior ink 'n' paper. Of course we didn't ask them how many songs they know the lyrics to. What on earth could you mean? That's not _real_ memory. Or _real_ poetry. Also, chapter-long technical passages should be written in italics to make them more difficult to read, complete with a patronising introduction about how you can skip this bit if it's too complicated for your tiny mind. Ugh. Yes, I'm exaggerating - a little. I'm sure there were plenty of good bits in this book, but I was mostly just irritated.