lauredhel

lauredhel

Soulless: The Manga Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga #2)
Gail Carriger
The Walking Dead, Vol. 18: What Comes After
Charlie Adlard, Robert Kirkman
Sunburnt Country
Fiona Palmer
Bark at the Moon: Bert Rokey's Letters from the South Pacific, 1942-1945: How a Soldier and Sabetha, His Kansas Farm Community, Survived World War II
Cleta Gresham Rokey
Midnight Blue-Light Special
Seanan McGuire
My Policeman
Bethan Roberts
True - Erin McCarthy This New Adult novel was just "meh" for me, I'm afraid. Set in college around naive middle-class virgin (yes, it's a plot point) Rory and bad-boy-from-the-wrong-side-of-the-tracks-but-with-a-heart-of-gold Tyler, it starts out as a consent issuefic, morphs into a class and drugs issuefic, and tries to be a romance all at the same time, without ever quite succeeding at any of the above.

Unfortunately, the writing was often awkward and stilted, the pacing was uneven, and there were some race and disability issues that threw me out of the story.

Mostly, however, I was bothered by an issue also highlighted by Ridley on a Death Author thread: "Sexual assault isn’t a meet cute." The book opens with minor character Grant attempting to rape Rory, and this is all about showing us how manly and ethical Tyler is, when he saves Rory from the situation. The aftermath and consequences of the sexual violence are barely examined; it's just all about getting Rory to notice Tyler. Ugh.