lauredhel

lauredhel

Soulless: The Manga Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga #2)
Gail Carriger
The Walking Dead, Vol. 18: What Comes After
Charlie Adlard, Robert Kirkman
Sunburnt Country
Fiona Palmer
Bark at the Moon: Bert Rokey's Letters from the South Pacific, 1942-1945: How a Soldier and Sabetha, His Kansas Farm Community, Survived World War II
Cleta Gresham Rokey
Seanan McGuire
My Policeman
Bethan Roberts

The Girl in the Hard Hat

The Girl in the Hard Hat - Loretta Hill Another really enjoyable read by Loretta Hill, and a crossover with The Girl In Steep Capped Boots and taking place after its events, which was a nice surprise for me. Hill's rural settings aren't all horses and rivers and pretty bushland; her heroines work in heavy construction in the Pilbara, hard up against a sexist, male-dominated workplace culture, a dangerous workplace, and a harsh environment. They're smart, singularly competent, and about the right amount of steely. Hill also manages to tread the line of showing some of the compromises that women so often end up having to make when dealing with ambient sexual harassment. Beneath all that is a fairly standardly-structured romance, but I won't give away the obstacles and secrets; I'll leave those for you to discover. For those who aren't as interested in the romance, there are substantial B, C, and D plots to enjoy.The one thing that marred this book for me was the constant "gee, the fat guy sure eats a lot of crap food, nyuck nyuck" storyline, which was both stereotypical and superfluous. The rest, though? Terrific. And I do so love reading a book set in my home state of WA.[This was a Netgalley read.]