lauredhel

lauredhel

Soulless: The Manga Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga #2)
Gail Carriger
The Walking Dead, Vol. 18: What Comes After
Charlie Adlard, Robert Kirkman
Sunburnt Country
Fiona Palmer
Bark at the Moon: Bert Rokey's Letters from the South Pacific, 1942-1945: How a Soldier and Sabetha, His Kansas Farm Community, Survived World War II
Cleta Gresham Rokey
Seanan McGuire
My Policeman
Bethan Roberts

Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman

Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman - James Gleick Loving Richard Feynman is a fun little book about maths geek Catherine's life at high school and in a changing family, but it is also about her changing relationship with Feynman as she gradually reads his reminiscences in Surely You're Joking.Writing her diary in letter form to Richard Feynman, Catherine admires him, scolds him, kisses him goodnight, talks to him about boys and science and family, asks him how he felt about atomic bombs, and gives him a good strong serve of feminist ire.Catherine starts out self-centred, anxious, and very self-conscious, but grows throughout the course of the book, learning that other people have internal lives as well, lives to which she was oblivious when wrapped up in her own. I like that the book is very located in place and in current events - Catherine is overjoyed at seeing an echidna swim, writes about of the Queensland banana shortage and price hike, and talks with Feynman about Korean nuclear testing.This isn't purely a a fluff-diary of a teenage nerd (a genre I like as well!), but a thought-provoking, if glancing, look at our changing individual relationships with historical characters as well as with people in our own lives. The more you look at someone, the more they seem to change. But are your feelings changing because of changes in those people, because of changes in your knowledge of those people, or because of changes in your own standpoint?